I start to think, "can't evolution mean more than just what Darwin preached and monkeys?" One question then comes to my mind, "Why not apply the idea of evolution to history? Hmmm...monkeys dressed in royal ruffles like Queen Elizabeth I and possibly a Napoleonic monkey." Opposing the Darwinian approach to the term "evolution," instead "evolution" could suggest an unfolding of events and ideals that can then be modified and passed down through generations. Ideas do not pop out of thin air; instead, they come from past generations and events. With these thoughts in mind I find that history works just like how sexual reproduction does by passing on the strongest genes (in a way). I take the ideologies and theories from past generations and modify them in order to develop my own beliefs and views. My hope then becomes that I can pass down my beliefs to a new, younger generation that can then modify them in order to benefit from them. Instead of trying to pass on genetic success through sexual reproduction, a new goal should be to pass on the lessons learned from generations.
My mind then tries to develop a full meaning of evolution. After consulting the infamous and vast Oxford English Dictionary, I realize the ways in which the term "evolution" has impacted almost every academic field. One can almost say that the term "evolution" is an example of what "evolution" is. The term "evolution" has slowly changed, developed, and unfolded throughout time allowing each academic field to have their own definition of "evolution." Therefore, "evolution" has affected society in various ways throughout history and is continually affecting society today so the definition of "evolution" changes constantly with time.
3 comments:
I like how you give the definition of evolution, like modify and develop the ideologies from your past generations to the next generations. I thought it was not necessary to add my personal feelings about my term. I should go back and fix my entry.
I think your entry is pretty interesting and it was funny just thinking about monkeys in royal ruffles. I think you did a great job at defining evolution and adding humor to spice it up instead of just defining the term.
What is the relationship between 'evolution' and 'progress'? Can we believe in one of these ideas without the other? Need there be teleology to life, or can there be a more value-neutral way to describe things?
Post a Comment